Serving Individuals, Families and Businesses in The San Gabriel Valley
Sound Legal Advice from Lee, Green, Stewart & Paul Attorneys at Law Get All Caught Up on Our Newest Posts.

DACA and Marriage to US Citizen

There are a number of people who are eligible for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals that are currently married to a United States citizen. Because of this, many worry that applying for DACA may affect their legal residency application process obtained through their spouse. Know that, if you are in the process of obtaining legal residency through your husband or wife, applying for Deferred action will NOT affect your application status. In fact, it would be a good idea to apply for Deferred Action while you wait for your permanent residency, as the process could take years and you would be able to receive a two-year protection from deportation in the meantime. If your permanent residency is granted while you have Deferred Status, all that would need to be done is an adjustment so that you can become a permanent legal resident. For more details and specifics about DACA and marriage process, contact us today to speak to a lawyer.